Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Painted a 28mm AWI Figure

So to give myself a little break from painting WSS figures I took out one of the Perry Miniature AWI figures I had and decided to paint it.  Again this was just a way of testing different techniques I've read about on the web. Ultimately I'm trying to find something I like and can be done quickly.  While I like painting, I enjoy playing more.  So this figure was done with certain process in mind. Prime Grey, block in the color and then do a wash.  Outside of priming the figure and having painted the flesh which I had done a week ago, I painted the rest of it all in one day.  Here's what I did:

Prior to this first step I painted the flesh using a technique from this blog post: The War of Spanish Succession Prussian  The gentlemen who owns the blog and his technique does wonderful work. You should take a jaunt over to his blog and take a look.  This blog post is also where I copied down the recipe for the wash I used at the end.  So this step I painted in the pants using Dessert Yellow. 

Then I moved onto the waist coat and the turn backs and painted them white.

Then I chose Dark Prussian Blue for the coat.
Then I painted the cuffs and lapels of the coat red.


Next came the straps which I mixed light grey, off white and a touch of pale sand together.


Then the canteen and musket stock where painted with mahogany brown, the cartridge box was painted black and the knapsack was painted tan. The musket barrel and trigger guard were painted with Foundry Spearpoint.

Then the boots were painted with Chocolate Brown.
Then I applied Aly's Wash to the figure which I linked to above.





I think over all the figure turn out okay.  I will have to practice a little more with the flesh tones but I do like how the figure looks like he has a 5 o'clock shadow.


A better close up view of the finish figure.

If you have any constructive suggestions or comments please leave them below. I am trying to get better at painting larger scale figures.
  






3 comments:

  1. That wash looks great and is an interesting recipe. So its a light brown and a dark brown and medium, basically? Personally I would've painted all the gear including the musket and boots using two shades of brown (dark and a lighter shade) and then let the wash pick out the details. Makes cranking out units go faster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly a very creditable result, Victor!

    ReplyDelete