Friday, March 2, 2018

Miniart 1/16 Musketeer Part III: The underpainting

So I finished, finally, filling all of the gaps and allowing it to dry and sanding down the putty.  I ended up being sick all of last week so I didn't do any painting. Did not feel up to it.  This week I was able to prime the figure using black and overlaying that with white.






The overlay of white over the black picks out the highlights and the black is left as a shade or shadow.
Once that dried completely I then created my underpainting.  This is a mixture of watercolor paints and elmers/white glue.  The colors used are artist quality watercolors and they are Ivory Black, Red Ochre, Brown Ochre, Yellow Ochre and Chinese White.  I create a mixture of black, red and brown ochre and white. I add the glue and then lots of water to create a wash.
I then take my Size 6 brush and paint upwards allowing the paint to pool into recesses and stain the primer. 

Once that starts to dry I then mix Yellow ochre, Brown ochre and glue. I add water to create a wash and then I paint this onto the areas of flesh that will become the high light areas.  So the bridge of the nose, cheeks, chin, forehead, fingers and so on.  


I will allow all of this to dry for 24 hours. As the glue dries it will suck the paint into the recesses and when I apply oil paints as a glaze the pigments will show through and add depth to the paint/figure just like a traditional oil painting.


No comments:

Post a Comment