The Spanish army is done! Well done enough to actually put on the table and use them in a game. Undoubtably, I will add to the army over time but this gives me a basic army to start with.
The figures are a mix of Pendraken, Warmonger and Old Glory all 10mm in size. It took me from January of this year to July, of start and stop painting to finish these up. I'm hoping the French wont take as long.
While I was painting these my technique changed with each new unit and I was able to paint a little bit faster with getting good results. Black primer, except for the one white horse, which was primed grey. Then I blocked in color using this site: Painting Landsknechts as my guide along with George Gush's book "Renaissance Armies", Osprey and Pinterest. Once that was done I bushed on Army Painters Quick Shade Soft Tone-which did not "mute" the bright colors. Once that was dry I then went back over the figures with Army Painter Ink Soft Tone which took the shine off the figures. Worked out pretty well. The leaders did not get the Quick Shade wash or the Ink wash. I did practice a few techniques on blueing armor and using a very thin black wash on those. I think they turned out pretty well.
The army is laid out below. Enjoy the pictures. A unit is 4 bases, guns are single bases. I particularly like the two ranks for the Pike units on each base.
I do however have to get a better lighting source to take my photos, possibly with a white back drop so the light reflects back so more detail can be picked up.