Thursday, May 26, 2011

Off to ENFILADE tomorrow!!!

Myself and two of my gaming buddies are driving up to Enfilade tomorrow for 3 days of gaming.  We can't wait to get there and start rolling dice.   If I remember to bring my camera I will post pictures of the games etc....

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Terrain Conundrum part IV

Well I've been able to work on this piece a little bit more and I have continued with the walls.  Last time I had worked on the brick work, now I finished off the plaster covering the walls.
The first layer of paint to cover the black undercoat was Vallejo Dark Sand.  I went with a light color to help simulate the color of unpainted plaster.  In this way when I dry brushed the colors over it some of the "plaster" would show through as chipped paint and aging.  At least that is what I was hoping it would accomplish.

The next step was to paint the actual color on the plaster.  I decided that the walls of each "building" would be different and the interior walls would also require different colors.  Here is what I picked: Vallejo Flat Green, Yellow Green, Cam. Orange Ochre, Medium Fleshtone and Game Color Tan.  Once the base color was applied I then took some Light Grey to create a highlight for each one.

After the paint dried I took out a dark brown chalk pastel and then rubbed it vigorously over the walls and bricks.  This added to the dirty look of old walls and the start of damage.  In order to keep the pastel color on the walls while I painted the rest of the piece I sealed the walls with a matt varnish.  This also helped to tone down the bricks a little bit as well.

I will go back and add rain streaks and battle damage to the walls now without ruining the effort I've put into the walls.  After that, I will tackle the wood boards, metal sheets, and other parts of the piece that look like nothing more than just molded dirt.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Terrain Conundrum part III

Its taken a little bit but I have finally gotten around to painting the brick walls for the terrain piece.  Up to this point only the ground had been painted.
I started with a base coat of VJ Buff on the bricks.  This became the mortar color and a nice way to lighten up the brick work a little from the original black base coat.  Also the tops of the walls and anywhere that looked like the bricks had fallen out received this base coat.

Once this was dry I then picked my brick colors.  They were Burnt Sienna, Orange and Carmine Red.  Using a pallet, I unevenly mixed these three colors together making sure that I never completely blended them together.  Applying them in this fashioned allowed a quick way to add depth to the brick work without having to paint it three times.  Once this was dry I did go back and using the same mix of paint pick out individual bricks and paint them a little more heavily just to add a little more depth.

Once all of that had dried I went back over the bricks with a light dry brush of the Buff color to add "dust" to surface.  I am rather amazed at how well the dry brushing stands out when the flash was used to take the photos.  The last photo in the group is under natural light just to show the difference.

The final touch I will do to the brick work once I paint the plaster on the walls will be to take a Rust Brown Chalk Pastel and rub it against the bricks.  This will help dirty up the wall but if I apply it before the plaster is painted it will most likely get rubbed away.  I will also go back and add some areas that look like they had been hit by a shell.

I think the piece is finally taking shape.  Next step is the plaster on the walls.