Saturday, May 14, 2011

Terrain Conundrum part III

Its taken a little bit but I have finally gotten around to painting the brick walls for the terrain piece.  Up to this point only the ground had been painted.
I started with a base coat of VJ Buff on the bricks.  This became the mortar color and a nice way to lighten up the brick work a little from the original black base coat.  Also the tops of the walls and anywhere that looked like the bricks had fallen out received this base coat.




Once this was dry I then picked my brick colors.  They were Burnt Sienna, Orange and Carmine Red.  Using a pallet, I unevenly mixed these three colors together making sure that I never completely blended them together.  Applying them in this fashioned allowed a quick way to add depth to the brick work without having to paint it three times.  Once this was dry I did go back and using the same mix of paint pick out individual bricks and paint them a little more heavily just to add a little more depth.



Once all of that had dried I went back over the bricks with a light dry brush of the Buff color to add "dust" to surface.  I am rather amazed at how well the dry brushing stands out when the flash was used to take the photos.  The last photo in the group is under natural light just to show the difference.


The final touch I will do to the brick work once I paint the plaster on the walls will be to take a Rust Brown Chalk Pastel and rub it against the bricks.  This will help dirty up the wall but if I apply it before the plaster is painted it will most likely get rubbed away.  I will also go back and add some areas that look like they had been hit by a shell.

I think the piece is finally taking shape.  Next step is the plaster on the walls.

3 comments:

  1. Frankly, what an odyssey of a model to paint!! Great work so far but I would not like to be in your shoes... at this stage I'd be fed up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming along well; I actually find this kind of thing quite fun to paint; rather different from painting Minis. I think the brown to dull down the red as a final stage is a good idea.

    Peter

    ReplyDelete