Monday, June 13, 2011

Terrain Conundrum: The Final Chapter

I know it's been a little bit since my last post but life has again gotten in the way of my fun.  I have finally finished the terrain piece I've been working on and I think it has turned out pretty well.

In my last post I believe I finished painting the walls and giving them a dusty look with a chalk pastel and then sealed the walls with a matt varnish.  From this point I started to work on the little pieces wood, rocks and metal that were molded into the piece.  I had thought about purchasing or making some extra bricks out of basswood.  I was unable to find anything already made that was in the right scale.  The basswood didn't work out either as trying to cut the wood into a small enough pieces.  So I decided to skip this and just work with the debris that was already on it.

I worked on painting all of the metal parts first and then moved onto the broken pieces of wood.  I did purchase a great weathering powder called the "Weather System" by Bragdon Enterprises.  The rust pigment did wonders to the metal pieces.  Using an old toothbrush I was able to vary the amount of rust on each piece.  The harder I rubbed the powder with the brush the better it looked.  I highly recommend this powdered.  I sprayed a matt varnish over the whole piece to seal the paint and powder.  I like how it turned out and I can't wait to get it on the table for it's first game.

1 comment:

  1. My God!! You have invested in this project the smae effort as Heracles in his 12 labours. Congratulations, looks splendid