Thursday, February 28, 2013

Finished the Italian houses

After starting and stopping for a few months on painting these buildings, I have finally finished them. I think they turned out okay.  I'm always harsh about the things I paint and I know if I had spent some more concentrated time on them they would be better.

I did try something new on these models, MIG Pigments.  They work well and are pretty easy to use.  I took some of the powder and mixed it with some Enamel Thinner.  Since I used acrylic paints for the models, I brushed on a matt varnish to seal the paint.  I then bushed pigment onto the buildings. Once the thinner dried it left a nice dusty look to the buildings.

Here's a link to my first post about the buildings: Painting Italian Buildings

Here are some pictures of the finished products.


On this one I used the MIG Pigment Black Smoke and brushed it along the edges of the collapsed building areas etc.












I have also decided to base the buildings on 6"x6" artist boards.  I'm thinking it will give some uniformity to the "towns" when they are placed on the table and it will help define areas for combat.  I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to do this.  Any suggestions?

Here's some prelim photos:




Any suggestions from those with better experience on doing this is greatly appreciated.



5 comments:

  1. Nice work, they look the business. I like the colouring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try and get some cobblestone sheets from either one of the wargames or model RR outfits and use it for the streets and squares. A few lanes and some low walls for 'privacy' and the street scene really leap off the table. Great job on the buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice looking buildings, who makes them? For cobblestones try a wallpaper shop, you won't even have to buy a roll, just take some as a sample.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the suggestion. I will try and find some of the cobblestone sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the top 7 pictures, those are from JR Miniatures. The ones below are from Monday Knight Productions. http://www.mondayknight.com/Index.html

    ReplyDelete