Thursday, June 29, 2017

1st unit of WSS French completed

I have finished my first unit of French for my Battle of Almanza project. It took me about 3 weeks of painting to get these done and that is due to the crazy schedule we've had here for the last few weeks.  Now that things have settled down a little bit I should be able to complete more units a little bit faster.  Although my trip to Historicon in a few weeks will put me a bit behind.

Overall the figures which are Old Glory 10mm, painted up quickly.  This first unit had a white primer applied and then I did a wash of Agrax Earthshade to  bring out the detail.  It did help in making things pop so I could see them.  The next unit, in the back ground, will have been primed black. Depending on which I like better I will paint the rest of them the same way.

This unit is the Blesois battalion.  The uniform colors and flag colors came from Robert Hall's CD on the French Army 1688-1714.  I hand painted the flag.  It looks better from a distance. :)  The bases are 30mm x 30mm and 3 ranks deep.








5 comments:

  1. 10mm?! Wow! You even painted the lace on the tricornes! The flag looks great too. I painted 15mm once and that was hard enough. Looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Dean; every time I've painted 15's it was pure torture. I think these guys will do the mass effect very well. I agree that the flag is actually quite effective from anything like tabletop distance. I wonder if a coat of not too dark magic wash or similar would bring out some of the closer up details? Might be worth trying cautiously ion a test figure in the back or middle rank...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job. Have to agree with Gonsalvo - a lighter shade of magic wash might do the trick to bring out the details. I normally paint 15mm and I've tried my hand at 10mm but just can't seem to get it right. Looking forward to more.

    What are your thoughts on terrain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts on Terrain? I'm not sure what you are asking. For the battle itself I'm going to try and get it as close as I can on the table top.

      Delete
  4. Excellent job! I'm looking forward to seeing these boys in action!

    ReplyDelete