Thursday, March 22, 2018

Monochromatic painting- A test and half way decent results

Surfing the interwebs the other night I came across a video of a person painting a portrait with one color.  That person used Raw Umber and as I watched them draw out the shape and add detail to the canvas like shadows, high lights, eyes, light and dark strands of hair, I thought to myself "I've got to try that!"  I am by no means anyone with any sort of artistic talent and I can't draw a straight line with a ruler. What the hell, I'll give it a go!

So I grabbed one of my recently primed 1/16 scale Verlinden heads I had purchased and had primed using black and white.
I put a little bit of Raw Umber on my palette and thinned down a little bit of it so it was translucent (high light) and thinned out a smaller area for the mid tone and then left some a little thicker for the shadow areas.

Here's how it turned out.  It was a nice attempt at picking out high lights and shadows and deciding where those would go and seeing how the under color of the primer adjusted what I was doing.  Next time I try this I will prime the figure in all white.  I think it will work better for this technique.  I certainly won't do this for a unit of figures but it was fun and only took me a 1/2 hour to do.





I'd be interested in what you think of this. Please leave me a comment below.

2 comments:

  1. Curt from Analogue Hobbies is a maestro in this field

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite the Art class you're giving us, Victor. Interesting stuff!

    ReplyDelete