Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Miniart 1/16 Musketeer Part IV: The first layer of pigments.

After a bit of a hiatus from painting due to spring break here in Oregon and we took off to Sunriver, OR to relax with our friends I am back to painting.  I did manage to prime up more WSS figures, some renaissance figures and more 1/16 scale heads before we left for vacation.  

This week I choose to work on my Musketeer.  In my last post about him, I had done the water color underpainting. This week I decided to start putting the first layers of colors on.  I follow and have befriended a gentleman in England named Vermillion Hugh.  He has a wonderful Youtube channel, Vermillion Hugh, where he paints 1/35 scale and larger figures using a neoclassical painting style.  I chose to try out his palette to paint this figure.  Also I should mention he is the one who gave me the idea of doing the water color underpainting. Stop by his channel and watch his stuff. His concepts on color theory and the old masters is amazing. 

So below is my first layers of color on the figure. I hope you like it.

The palette of colors I'll be using: Ivory Black, Alizarin Crimson, Scarlet Lake, Red Ochre, Brown Ochre, Yellow Ochre and Flake White.  I started by mixing Black and Brown Ochre to tone the black. The white was mixed with Brown Ochre. Both of these colors were then mixed together to create my Grey tone. The flesh color started out with Scarlet Lake mixed with the Grey tone.




A few views of the figure with the water color underpainting.

The palette after I painted the figure.

The first layers of flesh have been added along with browns, reds, yellows and white for the clothing.

His hat.




A few more pictures of first layers.

I am still trying to decide on the tunic color, which is why I haven't painted it yet.  I will give this layer a few days to dry and then I will start adding more layers.

I was asked to take some zoomed in shots so here they are.










No comments:

Post a Comment